Monday, June 13, 2011

2nd District GHP Reception in Sidney

Friday night Julia and I headed for Sidney and the 2nd District's GHP Reception.   Sidney is about 180 miles southwest of Medina about a 3 hour trip.  Since we were going on the Chillocothe the next day we had reservations at a local motel.   We got into Sidney around 4 PM which gave us time to clean-up and get ready for the reception.  The Lodge was only about 2 miles from the hotel.   This was our second visit to Sidney this year as we were also there for Sidney Chapter's inspection.

The reception started at 6:00 PM with a ham dinner served by O.E.S.   This has been the only ham dinner we have had this year.   With the ham we had apple sauce in stead of a salad, potatoes Au gratin, California blend veggies and cake for dessert.   This was also the first reception where the DDGHP priest walked around offering everybody chocolate milk.   Apparently REC Jonnie Dicke is know for his love of the stuff so they had it there for him.  If you don't count the chocolate milk, it was very nice meal served very nicely by the O.E.S sisters and brothers.  I do want to note that Sue Oliver was there for the reception.


The dinner was held in the first floor dinning room then we went to the Lodge room for presentation of awards.  I did not take many pictures of the Lodge room because some were posted at St. Mary's inspection.
 The awards presentations were the awards with a few additional District Awards but there is one that take must be mentioned.   The District as a "Sweetheart" award for one Lady in the District.  She received a certificate and a red rose.   Last year the award went to Sue Oliver who could not attend.   She received here rose and certificate Friday.   This year's award went to Ann Purdy, wife of PGHP John Purdy.   It is great to see a District do this type of award.




 After I spoke for too long, Julia and I both were presented gifts by the District.   She and I both thank the District for its generosity.

Now came the surprise.  I was made an honorary members of the District and the Chapters of the District.   The certificate that I was given will hold a special place in my heart and home because this was Steve's District.   I can not thank the Companions enough for this.

Usually protocol says nobody speaks after the Grand High Priest!     REC Dicke gave that no never mind and talked about how last year they passed the hat and the money received went to the Royal Arch Foundation in MEC Steven J. Oliver's name.    The hat was about to be passed and he really wanted to match or exceed last year's donation.   Now I saw what REC Dicky put in the hat so I put in $1 dollar more than he did.  Before the silliness ended he got me for another $9.00.   The hat ended up with $200.00 for the Royal Arch Foundation.   This matched last year's donations.  Thank you Companions

A great night.  Good food, great Companionship and a heart warming honor given to me.   What more could I ask for.

"til the next time>

P.S.   When we left the temple a storm hit.  Lightning, thunder and rain galore.  I'm beginning to think I bring rain with me where-ever I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment