Sunday, July 17, 2011

Lodi Sweet Corn Festival, 7.15.11

Harrisville Lodge #137 is in Lodi about 12 miles from home and is the second Symbolic Lodge I belong to.  It has a very active Ways and Means Committee and selling food at the Lodi Sweet Corn Festival is one of those activities.   The festival runs Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday and there will be well over 100 dozen ears of corn sold.   The only day I could help was Friday so off I went.   Folks the last time I husked corn like I did was about 50 years ago when I was living next to Grandpa and Grandma on the farm.   WB Tom Crosky and I husked corn, along with a few others like we knew what we were doing.  Tom had even made husking pegs, which 99 out of 100 people who read this blog have never heard of..  I thought Tom and I were doing a pretty good job of getting the silk off the ears but the Brother running the show really wanted it all off.   I told one person if we left a little silk on each year it could be used for dental floss.   That idea was not received very well.

Next to the sweet corn booth the Lodi Chapter of the Order of the Eastern Star was selling lemonade.   They had the biggest lemons I had ever seen.  They had an assembly line going.   One lady put ice in the cup, one put sugar in the cup, one squeezed a whole lemon in the cup and put 1/2 of the lemon in with the juice and finally a measured amount of water was added.   I had one cup while husking corn and took two home for Julia and I.

One of the Brothers from Harrisville Lodge was taking pictures and I hope to get some from him.   If I do, I'll add them to this post.

'til the next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment