Sunday, September 11, 2011

Update on my eye; August 24th

Well Companions since I told you about my eye earlier I guess I should update you on what is going on.

On August 24th I saw a new surgeon by the name of Dr. Marc Jones.   After checking my eye he agreed with the original diagnosis.   I see him again on September 28th when he will decide if surgery is necessary.  He gave me a 20% chance of not needing it.  The way the eye is acting I think the chance has dropped drastically. 

If I have surgery it works this way.   The doctor goes in through the white and removes a layer of cells from the back of the cornea.   He then transplants cells from a donor to the back of the cornea.   According to the surgeon the biggest problem is getting the transplanted cells to adhere to the cornea.   They do this by putting an air bubble in the eye that forces the transplanted cells up against the cornea.  Dr. Jones told me that I would start seeing sight improvement after about 3 weeks,  good improvement after 3 months and final improvement in about a year.   The eye will never be as good as new but will be pretty darned good.
That is about all I can tell you.

No comments:

Post a Comment