Sunday, February 6, 2011

20th Dist. GHP reception

Saturday afternoon around 4:30 Julia and I left for Concord and the 20th District's GHP reception.  It would be an understatement to say it was snowing when we left Medina.   Thankfully I-271 had just a little snow cover.   Things changed at Bedford!   I-271 disappeared and we just followed the tracks in the snow the rest of the way to I-90.  I-90 really wasn't too bad.  It normally takes me about 1 hour to get to Quail Hollow Resort where the reception was held.   Last night took about 1 hr and 35 minutes.  The only salt truck/snow plow we saw was in Medina as we were getting on I-71.  Now to make matters worse, as I pulled into park, the driver's side windshield wiper flew off and into a snow drift.   I found it and managed to snap it back together and hoped it would hold together until we got home.   The thing was only 7 days old.  As it turned out we decided to stay the night and go home Sunday morning.   The roads were just wet and the wiper held, so we had a good ride home.
The reception was very nice.  Quail Hollow Resort is a very nice facility as the picture of the lobby taken from the 2nd floor balcony shows.

We had a nice private dinning room and the service was good.   Dinner consisted of chicken or prime rib, both with the normal trimmings.   Once again we had a chocolate desert so Julia asked if it would be possible to get something else.   They brought her what looked like half of a cheese cake with warm cherry topping.



The MC for the night was REC Tom Johnson who had a good time doing the job.












After dinner Julia and I were both presented gifts.  Julia was given a beautiful throw and was also told that she had another one coming that depicted the covered bridges of Ashtabula county.   District 20 is composed of Ashtabula, Lake and Geauga Counties.  So we were given  Ashtabula county cheese from Middlefield, maple syrup from Geauga county and wine from Lake county.





I saved telling about the highlight of the evening until last.  Pictured with me are Harold (on my right) and Howard Potter.   Some of you may remember Harold.   He was elected Worshipful Master at the age of 100.   Yesterday was Harold's 101st birthday and I had the privilege of celebrating it with him.  

The following are just a few pictures from the reception.   I want to thank Dave Weimer for taking them for me.


Julia be properly welcomed


 All in all the evening was well worth the snowy trip up.   We had good food, good fellowship and plenty of time to just renew old friendships and make a few new ones.

'til the next time.






Paula didn't want her picture taken


Me and Dave the photographer




Part of the head table





rest of head table


No comments:

Post a Comment