Thursday, February 17, 2011

Shelby Chapter No. 178 Inspection

On Wednesday, 2.16, MEC Nockengost and I headed for Shelby and the inspection of Shelby Chapter #178 in the Royal Arch Degree.  Shelby is in my Symbolic Lodge District, the 20th, so I finally get to go somewhere without the aid of my Garmin.  It is about 60 miles or 1 hr and 10 minutes from Medina and just west of Mansfield on route 39.

Shelby Chapter is the home chapter of MEC Robert Crabbs and REC Darrel Porter, DDGHP of the 10th District.

We arrived just in time to join the Companions and Ladies in a pot luck dinner.  Unlike a lot of men, I enjoy pot luck dinners.   I love casseroles and a pot luck dinner brings on a variety of them.  Last night was no different.  There were two that I have to talk about.   The first was a meat loaf.   Now Julia will tell you that meat loaf is my favorite meal.  Put a meat loaf and bread on the table in front of me and I am going to have a sandwich!!  It doesn't matter what else comes with the meal, I am going to make a sandwich.  The meat loaf last night was great, but there was no bread so I had to suffer without a sandwich.    The second was ham loaf.  I had not had ham loaf in years.   Now I do not know which of the ladies brought the ham loaf but it had to be the best ham loaf I have ever eaten.  I have got to have Darrell get the recipe for me.

Added to the above was the dessert.   Home made pies and cakes.   Elderberry pie!!!  What a way to top off the meat loaf and ham loaf.   REC Bill Young arrived just in time to get the last piece of elderberry pie.

After dinner we struggled across the hall to the lodge room.


Looking east in Shelby Lodge

Now Shelby Lodge is on the third floor of a building downtown.  When you open the door to go in, you see the stairs.  They look like one continuous flight  up to the lodge and it looks like the lodge is on the 5th or 6th floor. Thank goodness there is a small landing about half way up.  I was going to take a picture of the stairs after I got upstairs but was too out of breath to operate my camera.


Looking west in Shelby Lodge
 Some of you may remember an earlier post with some pictures taken here.  It is relatively small room but quite nice.

There were two candidates for the Royal Arch degree and unfortunately neither was from Shelby Chapter.   This is the first time I have seen a borrowed or protem candidate this year.  This surely did not detract from a nicely done degree by the officers of Shelby Chapter and those helping.

I gave  out two of MEC Oliver's litte red crosses away.

First to the Principal Sojourner, 82 year old Bob Ellis, who did an great job on the Journey.  Second to Jeshua, EC Harry McClaren from Wooster Chapter.   Now Harry has just a little problem when it comes to doing ritual.  He is blind.  I would challenge any body to say they have seen a much better portrayal of Jeshua than was done by Harry.  Harry is a member of my Council, R.& S. M., and does a fine, fine job in all the ritual I have ever seen him do.  I apologize if I spelled Bob's or Harry's name incorrectly.

Here we go again!  Look at the Grand and Past Grand Officers in attendance.   No wonder some High Priests get nervous.

I keep saying no Grand Line travels better than this line and they just keep proving it.








Well, REC Nockengost and I had another night of dry roads, wonderful food, good degree work and warm companionship. 

'til the next time.

P.S.:  Hey Margaret, I'm caught up now.

No comments:

Post a Comment