Sunday, December 5, 2010

Grand Chapter of PA
































































Wednesday morning, 12/1, at 6:00 AM, Julia and I headed for Philadelphia to attend the Grand Holy Royal Arch Chapter of Pennsylvania. We checked into the Marriott Courtyard 432 miles and 7 1/2 hours later. Driving was a little slow because we had snow most of the way. Just enough to slow you down but not enough to be problematic.

When I registered for the Grand session I was informed that the Chapter that meet in the Philadelphia Lodge was having a meeting that night. Since there was nothing else scheduled for the evening, I went to the meeting. What a treat!

When you entered the Philadelphia Masonic Temple you enter a fantasy building. I was told that I would marvel at what I would see but nothing can prepare you for that building. I posted a few of the pictures I took but what I recommend is that you go to the web site and do a virtual tour.


There a 6 halls, or lodge rooms, in the building and I don't think I can pick a favorite. Each is distinct and as breathtaking as the others. If I had to pick, I think it would be the Gothic Hall which is the Knights Templar meeting room. Julia got a guided tour with the Ladies and she loves the Egyptian Room as the picture shows.
Well back to the meeting. The Chapter is Royal Arch Chapter #3, instituted on June 8, 1758. This Chapter is the longest continuously operating Chapter in the world. They do a full form opening and I had no idea what was going on most of the time. The GHP of West Virginia was there and he was as lost as I was. The HP, King and Scribe are all covered while in the east and the HP stands for the entire meeting. As it turns out it was election of officers followed by their installation. Only the HP, King and Scribe were elected. The Secretary and Treasurer were continuing in their stations. Their installation was different with the outgoing officer installing the incoming officer. The incoming officer gives the obligation from memory and then is presented his "masonic clothing" of apron, jewel and covering. All in all the meeting was very educational for me as well as a lot of fun.
On Thursday the Grand Session opened with introductions at 10:30 AM. I believe there were 6 GHPs from other jurisdictions in attendance. Grand Council and Grand Commandery were very well represented. One very noticeable difference with Grand Commandery is the officers wear aprons with their uniforms. Prince Hall was very much in attendance with 25 members present. The Grand Master and most of the Grand Officers of the Grand Lodge were in attendance. A small amount of business was discussed and the session was stopped until the 2:00 PM Officers Installation. There was a free lunch for all Companions at that time.
While this was going on with the men, Julia was getting a tour of the building. After the tour the Ladies returned to the Marriott, which was adjacent to the Temple, for their lunch.
The Installation of Officers was exactly like what I had seen the night before with exception that they elected a new Grand Secretary.
The Grand Banquet Thursday night was at the Marriott Courtyard and was one of the best banquet meals I have had. There was the normal salad followed with Tomato Florentine soup. Then we were given a glass of lemon sherbet topped with a frozen lemon slice. The main course was a fillet Mignon, salmon fillet, rice pilaf and green beans. The dessert was chocolate cake. Julia ask for her normal substitute for the chocolate cake and they brought her another lemon sherbet. Attendance at the dinner was approximately 175.
At 5:30 AM, Friday morning, we started home. Why so early? Having been in Philadelphia traffic on the way in, I had not desire to be in it on the way home.
The hospitality of everyone, the beautiful building and fine dinner gave us a wonderful time but we were glad to be on the way home.
'til the next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment