Friday, December 31, 2010

Royal Arch Degree at Eaton Chapter No. 22

I'm back early!    This past Wednesday, 12/29, I received an email from the Secretary of Eaton Chapter stating that Eaton Chapter was doing the Royal Arch degree for 4, and maybe 6, candidates on 12/30 at a special convocation.   Well this was not good as I had earlier stated that there were to be no special meetings or conferring of degrees from Christmas Eve through New Year's day.  I attempted to contact Dist. 3 DDGHPs but to avail.  I finally reached EC Mike Stephenson, Secretary of Eaton Chapter, and told him they were violating my edict.  He immediately apologized, said he was unaware of the edict, and they would cancel the meeting.   To me canceling the meeting presented a few problems.   Eaton Chapter had a full cast committed to the degree, 4 Candidates committed to the meeting, and Preble Council and Jerusalem Commandery needed the Candidates for their inspections.  Since Eaton's next stated meeting was not until the 4th Wednesday of January it seemed reasonable that these 4 Candidates probably would not receive the RA until in February.  Canceling the meeting meant the Chapter looked bad to the Candidates and Council and Commandery could once again say we were holding up candidates that they needed.  It did not seem to me that my edict was worth causing all this grief.   So I told EC Stephenson to proceed with the degree.

Now thing go down hill!   Not only do I approve violation of my own edict,  REC Nockengost and I went to the convocation.     Heck it is only 209 miles each way which takes 3 1/4 hours.

We got to Eaton around 5:30 PM and got to join the Companions for "refreshments" prior to the meeting.  Now refreshments to me are coffee and pie or maybe a bowl of soup.   These refreshments were fried chicken, jo-jo potatoes, sub sandwiches, chips and cookies.   Needless to say, George and I had a good meal.



After refreshments we went to the third floor lodge room.   The Lodge is a small, but nice room.  It is rather long but narrow.   Lodge, Chapter, Council and Commandery all meet here and one of the members asked if I could imagine doing the full form opening of Commandery in the room.   It would be interesting to say the least.


One piece of furniture that I thought interesting was the easel used to hold the caulk board.   I have never seen one quite like it.  If you look closely you will see the "M" with the date 1885 below it. I assume this is when it was made.  It is quite unique and beautiful.




























At 7:00 PM the Chapter was opened in the Royal Arch degree and the work proceeded.   Once again I saw fine, fine work. So far this year the worst degree I have seen is one that I would call adequate.   The rest have been good to exceptional.   I could not be prouder of the Chapters.

At the end of the work Eaton Chapter had 4 new Royal Arch Masons.   And to make matters even better, all four are going to continue the York Rite journey by joining Preble Council and Jerusalem Commandery.

After the degree work it was my honor to present a 50-year pin to Companion Raymond Jones.   Companion  Jones spoke about DeMolay and how proud he was to be a Mason.  He said he had enjoyed every minute of his membership.

He was thanked for his service to the Fraternity and given Grand Honors.





I may have allowed a Chapter to violate my own edict, but for a night like this it was well worth it.  Once again; good food, good degree work and great Companionship.

'til the next time.




No comments:

Post a Comment