Tuesday, March 8, 2011

East Liverpool No. 100 Inspection

Last night REC Young and I traveled to East Liverpool for the inspection of East Liverpool Chapter #100 in the Mark Master degree.   East Liverpool is about 100 miles southeast of Medina and takes about 1 3/4 hours to drive.

This is one of my favorite lodge buildings in Ohio.   It was built in 1897 and has features I have not seen anywhere else.  Having received my Orders of Red Cross and Malta full form in this lodge may be part of why I like it so much.

It starts with the arch that you see immediately after you enter the building.  Inscribed on the arch is "Every Master Mason Should be a Royal Arch Mason" and no truer words have even been spoken.

The lodge room is on the third floor and there is no elevator.

The picture of the stairs is what you see as you go to the lodge room.  It is a beautiful staircase with great picture on the landing.





 


 Now you enter the lodge room.  It is a big room and different than any I have seen.  All the beams in the ceiling are exposed making a cathedral effect.

The west has a large balcony seating area that is rounded.   The west wall is rounded enough that you almost feel that the lodge room is round.

On the south wall there are Masonic emblems for all the bodies that meet in the building.



                                                                                                                                                                        
Now as we wandered around prior to the meeting I had a heck of a time with REC Young.  As most of you know he is a furniture restorer and things like the clock and the chairs got his attention.   He kept measuring them to see if they would fit in the back of my van.

I dd check the van just prior to leaving but he had resisted temptation and all the lodge's treasurers remained intact.










As REC Young and I were wandering we found this Commandery banner.   It is behind glass so the picture is no the best.   I thought the banner nice enough that I should give it a try
Now that you have seen why I like the building so much lets get on to the inspection.   The Chapter was opened in Royal Arch short form by EC Charles Karcher.  After introductions I found out that EC Karcher is also Illustrious Master and Eminent Commander.   Add to these jobs the fact that he is the Symbolic Lodge D.E.O.  and is in the Consistory line.   We have here one busy mason.

After the introduction Royal Arch was closed and a lodge of Mark Masters opened by RWM Karcher. 

Right Worshipful Master in the Mark Master was REC Gerald Goodballot.   This Companion is 85 years old,   He is a Past District Deputy Grand High Priest, a Knight York Cross of Honor and an Illustrious 33rd degree Masons.  I was speaking to him prior to the degree and he told me that he hoped he could remember what he was doing.   HE REMEMBERED JUST FINE!   This Companion did the entire degree, including the lecture, and had minimal prompting.  It was an excellent degree in every respect.

The only disappointment of the evening was that a protem candidate had to be used.   The Chapter does have two petitions but both candidates were out of town for work.  

After the degree I did give both EC Karcher and REC Goodballot one of MEC Steve Oliver's little red cross pins.   I don't think I have seen many Companions more worthy than these two.
After closing we retired to the dinning room for refreshments of sub sandwiches, chips and beverage.   The dinning room has a unique feature build in for speakers.  Everywhere you look in this building you see something different.

Well another fine night of dry road, a great building, excellent ritual, fine Companionship and good food.

"till the next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment